Womb steaming, also known as yoni steaming, vaginal steaming or v-steam is a traditional therapeutic healing practice like a herbal sauna for your reproductive organs, practised worldwide for women’s gynaecological health. It has been used for centuries by Korean and Central American cultures and today, countless women are rediscovering this practice to heal and maintain a healthy vulva, vagina and womb.
From pre-menstrual to post menopause, a yoni steam can help relieve many symptoms related to our feminine cycles and bodies, effectively cleansing and nourishing the entire pelvic area. Vaginal tissue is one of the most absorbent of the entire female body making womb steam a very effective form of healing.
Yoni steams are a wonderful tool for enhancing fertility, improving menstrual flow by helping to clear stagnate blood from the womb, repairs and heals sore tissue post-partum (including post miscarriage), clearing chronic irritation and peri-menopausal vaginal symptoms.
Every woman will benefit in some way from steaming, allowing women to not only take back their health, to also reconnect with the strength and vitality of our pelvic bowls.
The health benefits of yoni steaming are:
- Significantly reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation.
- Decrease menstrual flow as well as reduce dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses.
- Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
- Increase fertility
- Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after birth, miscarriage or termination.
- Treat uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse and endometriosis.
- Heal the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy or C-section scar.
- Assist with the healing of haemorrhoids.
- Treat chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and works to maintain healthy odour.
- Relieve symptoms of menopause and vaginal dryness.
- Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body.
Most women report a toning and increased sensitivity of their vaginal walls as a result of regular steaming, as well as shorter, lighter menstrual cycles with less to no cramps. Postmenopausal women note a better vaginal moisture balance and sense of calm.
Even if you are not experiencing any reproductive issues, yoni steaming is a beautiful self care practice to bring health, wellness and balance to your monthly cycle.
How do Yoni Steams work?
- Place a large handful of the herbs in a large stainless steel pot or bowl with about 2 litres of fresh water. Gently simmer the herbs in the water for 10 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Place the steaming pot of herbs on the floor and sit over the pot on a chair with holes or slats in the seat being mindful of the temperature. It should feel very warm but in no way should it feel painful or unpleasant. Allow to cool further if it is still too hot.
- Your body should be one or two feet above the steaming herbs. You should be naked from the waist down with a towel wrapped around your legs and waist to hold in the heat. You will be sitting over the steam for 20 minutes so your legs and bottom need to be comfortable and supported. It’s important to keep your feet warm so wear cosy socks.
- When the herbs are placed in the hot water, their medicinal properties, including volatile oils, are released and carried to the surface of your skin, the vulva and inside of the vagina, where they are absorbed into the bloodstream and into the uterus. The herbal steam increases circulation, thins mucus, cleanses the entire reproductive system, providing internal cleansing of the uterus by assisting in the release of incompletely flushed debris, impacted and old endometrial lining. Womb steam tones the pelvic floor to create a natural healthy lubrication that cleanses, rebalances and restores natural pH level. It also encourages the womb into her natural, open and upright position.
- Choose a space where you will not be disturbed in which to enjoy your womb steam. This is a deeply nurturing and healing act of self care, so please make the most of this sacred time for yourself. Leave mobile phones and other distractions in another room so that you can take in this experience fully.
- Afterwards, keep warm and if possible wrap up and go to bed for the night or lie down and rest for at least half an hour. This will strengthen the healing process and allow your womb to integrate the effects of the herbal steam.
- Other nurturing practices such as Abdominal Self Care Massage and Castor Oil pack before or after a steam will enhance the process more deeply.
- Womb steams can be enjoyed after menses finish or 5-7 days before menses begins.
You can easily treat yourself to a yoni steam in the comfort of your home home
A yoni steam is a gentle self care ritual that is a simple and accessible practice for any woman to do at home. Incredibly empowering you are gifting yourself and your sacred temple this time to nourish all that is your deep feminine power bringing healing, comfort and refreshing vitality.
The real benefits become apparent after only a few moon cycles of conducting the steams.
Steams at the Retreat
Steaming at home is a beautiful ritual, but steaming at my Retreat healing space is lovely as well! Together we will go over your health history, and your current symptoms/ situation, and determine an effective steam protocol for you. Doing your first steam with my guidance is a great way to try out yoni steaming and learn how to set it up on your own at home.
Combining Self Abdominal Massage with yoni steaming is an extremely effective combination and I will guide you how to do this at home, handouts are included. Steams can be added on to any treatment that I offer, or done on their own. Steam sessions with consultation last about 1 hour. Follow-ups 40mins.
For first time client with consultation and a steam the cost is £60 and includes take home herbal blend.
Follow up 40mins steam, the cost is £30
Please contact me to set up your appointment today
Who should NOT do a yoni steam?
First and most importantly, women who are pregnant, or think there is any possibility that they might be, should NOT do any type of yoni steam. It is also not recommended for women who have an Intrauterine Device (IUD). Women who have any type of internal infection (cervical, uterine or ovarian inflammation), or a fever, are encouraged not to steam until the symptoms have passed. Women also should not steam while menstruating or when open sores or blisters are present.
How to Purchase?
Yoni Herbal Blends (Fertility, Mama, Moontime, Menopause) are available for £8.00 (plus p&p) for one pack (enough for 2 womb steams)
Purchase yoni steam blends by sending an email to Gemma. Online shop coming soon!
If you have any questions or would like to share your steaming experience, please feel free to share at email@example.com. I’d love to hear from you!